β-Hydroxybutyric acid, also known as 3-hydroxybutyric acid, is an organic compound and a beta hydroxy acid with the formula CH3CH(OH)CH2CO2H; its conjugate base is beta-hydroxybutyrate, also known as 3-hydroxybutyrate. β-Hydroxybutyric acid is a chiral compound having two enantiomers, D-β-hydroxybutyric acid and L-β-hydroxybutyric acid. Its oxidized and polymeric derivatives occur widely in nature.
Difference of Sodium BHB, Calcium BHB and Magnesium BHB: BHB + Sodium – By allowing more sodium into your body, the movement of ions sodium across the cell membrane can help facilitate muscle contraction and nerve impulses. BHB + Calcium – Certain companies choose to avoid high sodium loads and instead use the calcium content from BHB ketone salts instead. By using BHB + Calcium the absorption is slowed down which may not be ideal for those who are looking to optimise brain uptake of ketones. BHB + Magnesium – Magnesium is a crucial ingredient for everyone. For trainers and athletes magnesium gets lost due to increased sweating and urination so having the magnesium there can reduce the risk of magnesium deficiency.
Supplementing with BHB Salts provides many benfits. Some of the most talked about benefits are:
1. It’s a “Super fuel” of your body. Provides instant alertness and energy to the brain.
2. Enhances athletic performance and endurance.
3. Decreases food cravings/increases satiety.
4. Improves insulin sensitivity and normalize blood sugar levels.
5. It is a powerful antioxidant and has a potent muscle-sparing effect.
6. Source of necessary minerals/electrolytes along with the ketones.