Product name: Lemon balm extract
Botanical source: Melissa officinalis
CAS NO: 1180-71-8
Molecular Weight: 470.53
Molecular Formula: C26H30O8
Appearance: Yellowish-brown powder
Solubility: Soluble in organic solvents soluble ester, insoluble in water
Lemon balm is native to Europe but is now grown all over the world. It is grown not only in herb gardens, but also in crops for medicine, cosmetics, and furniture polish manufacturing. The plant grows up to 70–150 cm tall. The leaves have a gentle lemon scent, related to mint. During summer, small white flowers full of nectar appear. These attract bees, hence the genus name Melissa (Greek for 'honey bee'). Its flavour comes from citronellal, geranial, linalyl acetate and caryophyllene. The leaves are very deeply wrinkled and range from dark green to yellowish green in color, depending on the soil and climate. The crushed leaves, when rubbed on the skin, are used as a repellant for mosquitos. Lemon balm extract is made from the leaves of the plant. Essential oils made from lemon balm leaves contain plant chemicals called terpenes, which play at least some role in the herb's relaxing and antiviral effects. Lemon balm essential oil is very popular in aromatherapy. Lemon balm also contains rosmarinic acid,which is the major compound responsible for GABA transaminase inhibition activity in lemon balm.
1) Antioxidant and antitumor activity
2) Antimicrobial, antiviral activity against a variety of viruses, including herpes simplex virus (HSV) and HIV-1
3) Mild sedatives, anxiety reduction and hypnotics
4) Modulate for mood and cognitive enhancement, mild sedative and sleep aid
5) Memory-enhancing properties
6) Widely use as a mild sedative and antibacterial agent.
1. Lemon Balm Extract Powder, in foods and beverages, is widely used for flavoring.
2. Lemon Balm Extract Powder, in health care product field, is used for promoting sleep and improving appetite.
3. Lemon Balm Extract Powder, in pharmaceutical field, is frequently used as mild sedative agent to regulate mood and significantly increase calmness and alertness.