1. Fumaric acid is organic acid with a sour taste; hence, they are used as a flavoring.
2. Fumaric acid is even used in breads for the sour taste. As it mixes with sodium bicarbonate and forms a delayed action leaving agents. This helps the cake to become spongy.
3. Fumaric acid is used as an anti-oxidant in the form of a substance that helps to maintain the acidity level.
4. Fumaric acid helps to lower the pH level and even kills bacteria,has bacteriostatic and antiseptic function.
5. Fumaric acid can replace hygroscopic acids in dry mixture because it does not dissolve in water.
6. Fumaric acid esters are used to treat psoriasis, as it has been suggested that the condition is caused by an impairment of fumaric acid production in the skin.
7. Fumaric acid is used in the manufacture of polyester resins and polyhydric alcohols and as a mordant for dyes.