CHARACTERISTICS OF THE BOOKS
Happy Kids Phonics books are designed for early childhood to establish reading readiness. Not only do these books help children learn alphabetical phonics, but they also improve reading and comprehension skills through a step-by-step basis over the two-year course. In addition, through various hands-on-activities such as drawing, cutting, coloring, pasting, gluing and sing-along, the readers are able to develop mental and physical capacity to effect successful academic performance in higher education courses.
COMPOSITION OF THE BOOKS
The books are composed of two levels of workbooks, twenty five storybooks and twenty supplementary visual aids. The course is designed so that students will finish the course in two years: During the first year they will complete phonics workbook step I, while in the second year they will do phonics workbook step II.
- I. Phonics Workbook Step I (Level I): 26 books for Uppercase A through Z
- Age Group: 3 & 4 year olds
- Wall Display: Each book provides a “theme post” designed to be used as a visual aid during the course.
- Lyrics and Music: Each book also introduces a song related to its theme. The songs are geared for auditory learners and reinforce the concepts being taught.
- Let’s make Review Cards! (1) & (2): Children have an opportunity to review what they have learned in the last book. It helps the children remember all the phonics, concepts and words that they have learned in the last session. A set of pictures are provided with each picture matching with a review card.
- New Sound Pictures: These pictures show new words beginning with the “new alphabetical” sound. They help learn new sound by using new objects/ words. Each sound selects a few key concepts/ words representing the sound. These are the words that children get in touch with most frequently in their daily lives. For instance, Father is one of the key words for “F” sound. The other words are also chosen based on their closeness to the children.
- Letter Recognition: This page leads students to find the stickers in the back of the book and paste them with the letter. It’s fun. And it improves the movement of fingers by hands-on activities such as cutting and pasting.
- Trace the letters: It shows how to write the sound (alphabet). Children learn to write the sound in the indicated order of writing.
- Fine Motor Skills: Children are encouraged to develop fine motor skills by painting the objects in a variety of colors; cutting, pasting/gluing them at the scene; and tracing the letters at the bottom. Through these repeated hands-on activities, Happy Kids can develop their fine motor skills well beyond the normal same-age group.
- Language Sequencing: This is the other way of matching words so that the pictures can flip up to reveal the words underneath.
- Language Development: Using the new words, the Happy Kids will have the opportunity to develop more words into one or two full sentences.
- Review: It connects one of the key words to the words Happy Kids have already learned in the past sessions. This connection is prepared so naturally that the kids are able to practice the sounds that they have learned with fun and interest.
- Visual Discrimination: There is pool of features that kids can choose from to complete the drawing - another form of hands-on-activities. It allows the kids to develop creativity and imagination.
- Circle & Color the Same Letters: One more review practice to help the kids memorize the letters that they have learned until now. Coloring gives them vivid memorization.
- Stickers: The kids are to take out these stickers and put them on the pages indicated above the stickers. It is a fun game rather than a practice. They will learn more through kind of games.
II. Phonics Workbook Step II (Level II): 28 books for Upper and Lower cases from A/a through Z/z
- Age Group: 4 & 5 years olds
- 2 – 14. The same contents as in the “I. Phonics Workbook Step I (Level I)”
III. Phonics Story Books: 25 story books about animal or human of which name starts with the alphabet A through Y/Z.
- Age Group: 3 & 5 years olds
- Lyrics and Music: As in the Workbook I & II, each book introduces a music related to its theme. It opens children’s ears to the sound and minds to the new concept of the objects.
- Story in Colors: Over 6 pages, it unfolds the story about the subject alphabet. All stories are printed in colors and they are fun and interesting stories. The kids not only comprehend the situation of the story, but also memorize the words starting with the subject alphabet.
- Which Words Begin with the Subject Alphabet? : Just after each page of the story there is a question, “Which words begin with the subject alphabet of upper/lower case?” These questions help the kids catch the words starting with subject alphabet. There are 6 pages or 6 questions through the end of the story.
- They are 25 stories, not 26 because the last two alphabets, Y and Z, are combined into one story. Currently, these stories are only presented in print form. However, it is possible to develop them into DVD format.
IV. Display Wall Charts: As supplemental explanation in poster, 20 wall charts are prepared to use for the specific subject. They may be displayed on the wall during the class hours. They are:
2) Human Body,
3) Transportation, etc.
COPYRIGHT OF THE PHONICS BOOKS (referred to as “Books”)
The Client has the copyrights to Phonics Books, which is composed of Phonics Story Books (25 books), Phonics Workbooks Step I (26), Phonics Workbooks Step II (28), and Display Wall Charts (20) in total 99 materials.
SOFTWARE AND ILLUSTRATION
Contents of all these books and charts are contained in the Hard Disk of around 20 MB. All illustration is developed by using Illustrator, Quark S/W.